What your team most disappointing draft pick in recent years?

boubabi

For the Habs, I would say Zachary Fucale or Jacob De la Rose that were high second round draft picks

(If we forget Collberg (33th OA) that was traded for Vanek at the time)

Fucale is playing in the east coast and is behind Charlie Lindgren (FA) (and probably Mcniven) in our depth chart

And del la rose stalling as an ineffective offensive player

How about yours?

In the last 10 years I'd probably say Kyle Beach, dude has yet to play in the NHL and it's been 8 years or so...  I recall a lot of hype the first few years after we selected him but he just never panned out.  Otherwise probably Mark McNeil.

3 minutes ago, Banackock said:

Magnus Pajaarvi Svensson likely in the last 7 or so years or whatever.

Oilers are shit at drafting though. Especially before we started our era of 1st OV's

Even in that same era, it took a few tries of 1OA before the home run that was McDavid landed. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov all wouldn't get 1OA in a re-draft of their seasons, and two of those players aren't even on the club anymore. To be honest the Oilers should be super happy they were able to secure 1OA for McDavid because if they hadn't I don't know how good that franchise would be looking right now. But I do know that considering several seasons in a row of 1st overall, the statement shouldn't be that they were lucky to land McDavid to help save that thing. :P Granted new GM and management now, but how that management team was allowed to stick around as long as they did boggled me. Anyway random. 

For the Caps I may say Tom Wilson. He's blooming into a top teir 3rd/4th line player, but considering he was a first rounder there was many who had hopes he'd be a Lucic type power forward who'd be able to put more points on the board. He's still young, but he hasn't really taken the steps towards being an offensive contributor. Thankfully his two way game has improved this season and he's become a solid PK guy but you  hope for more than a depth fourth/third line guy with a first. 

Ours is hard because we've had a bunch of horrible picks under Lou. Patrice Cormier sucked a big one. Matt Corrente is one of our worst all-time but I think Matthias Tedenby could be the winner of that award.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

Even in that same era, it took a few tries of 1OA before the home run that was McDavid landed. Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov all wouldn't get 1OA in a re-draft of their seasons, and two of those players aren't even on the club anymore. To be honest the Oilers should be super happy they were able to secure 1OA for McDavid because if they hadn't I don't know how good that franchise would be looking right now. But I do know that considering several seasons in a row of 1st overall, the statement shouldn't be that they were lucky to land McDavid to help save that thing. :P Granted new GM and management now, but how that management team was allowed to stick around as long as they did boggled me. Anyway random. 

For the Caps I may say Tom Wilson. He's blooming into a top teir 3rd/4th line player, but considering he was a first rounder there was many who had hopes he'd be a Lucic type power forward who'd be able to put more points on the board. He's still young, but he hasn't really taken the steps towards being an offensive contributor. Thankfully his two way game has improved this season and he's become a solid PK guy but you  hope for more than a depth fourth/third line guy with a first. 

Honestly, I thought Hall was pretty good. Offensively anyway. Better than a majority of our 1st rounders. Maybe not 1st in his draft, but def. still a top player. Most consistent point scorer when we went through our struggles and a lot of people shit on him but I will always be in his corner. Stuck around when things were tough and got shafted once they started looking up. Eberle should have been the one to get dealt to New Jersey for Larsson. Of course with say a 2nd or such pick as well possibly. I just can't stand the guy. Weak on the puck, never in the corners etc.

Lucic is slightly overrated in Edmonton too imo right now. Not doing horrible, not doing great either. Im still waiting to see some feisty play and him beat the shit out of someone.

6 minutes ago, brovy said:

Virtanen no doubt.

you cant said without a doubt. there is no way he should have been playing in the NHL as a 18 yo. should have been returned to Calgary. Vancouver fucked that up ever since. Also could argue this year with picking Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuk but its to early for that talk...so far. 

I would say going back to end of lockout. Patrick White (but was traded for Ehrhoff so that worked for Van), Cody Hodgson drafted 10th overall, did good but then sucked after being traded and was traded for Zack Kassian in a trade no one won. one of these two for sure

1 hour ago, boubabi said:

Duncan Siemens ?

I think Bleackley was just as bad. They were saying that he can be the future captain... leadership we'd now. But Duncan is that Defensive D we need right now... Hopefully some of the guys we have in the system pan out. Like Bigras and Butcher. Jost seems like he will replace whoever gets traded out of Landy and Dutchy. I hope it's Landy. I love him but... leadership has to be looked at with this team. 

isn't jake virtanen pretty young ?

and with his size, I'm sure he can easily end up on a 3rd at worst 

but I don't watch him much, so I really can't say. I only remember him from junior hockey 

Yakupov. Especially because I knew that the Oilers never should have drafted him. I was wanking off fantasizing to the idea of Edmonton trading that 1st overall to literally anyone for some NHL-ready defenceman. Preferably Shea Weber (though I don't know how feasible that was at the time). But no, they had to draft ANOTHER forward, and a one-dimensional Russian at that. WCGW?

1 hour ago, TheLastOlympian07 said:

you cant said without a doubt. there is no way he should have been playing in the NHL as a 18 yo. should have been returned to Calgary. Vancouver fucked that up ever since. Also could argue this year with picking Olli Juolevi over Matthew Tkachuk but its to early for that talk...so far. 

I would say going back to end of lockout. Patrick White (but was traded for Ehrhoff so that worked for Van), Cody Hodgson drafted 10th overall, did good but then sucked after being traded and was traded for Zack Kassian in a trade no one won. one of these two for sure

Tkachuk is a good player yes, but look at what even a top 4 defensemen can get you in this league. Juolevi is a blue chip prospect with tons of value. Virtanen can barely play at the AHL level and there are players like Nylander and Ehlers that were drafted around where he went and are well on to there NHL careers.