S51 VHL & VHLM Award List

Will

2 minutes ago, Streetlight said:

Remember that time you lost MVP by a vote because I voted for the other guy instead of Braxton? Remember that time?

Good times, huh? :P

THOSE TIMES! There were TWO!

Just now, Streetlight said:

Wait, that happened twice? Were they both for MVP or was one top defenseman?

Both for MVP. I always won top D. Higgins got boned on his one good shot.

Just now, Streetlight said:

Huh? Do you remember which two seasons they were?

I don't. One was Bjorkman so I assume S26. Might have been 27 because that was my best season

1 minute ago, Streetlight said:

Bjorkman was S27. I'd have to assume the other was CAL G in S29.

Yeah it was the only 2 seasons I got any votes. Both times I lost by one, both times you voted for the guy who won.

BENEDICT ARNOLD HELBERG!

Just now, Jericho said:

Yeah it was the only 2 seasons I got any votes. Both times I lost by one, both times you voted for the guy who won.

BENEDICT ARNOLD HELBERG!

And you know what? I probably voted for Glover in S28 and he probably won by a single vote. :P

I had to vote for other goalies in that era so I could justify voting for myself!

(side note: I actually have no idea if I voted for Glover; it's very possible that I didn't vote for him using the same logic that kept me from voting for Braxton, and kept me from voting Glover for the Hall of Fame)

4 hours ago, Streetlight said:

Remember that time you lost MVP by a vote because I voted for the other guy instead of Braxton? Remember that time?

Good times, huh? :P

Dear god I remember. :P He had Pajodcast ranting material for like 3 months worth of episodes just on that subject alone. :P 

4 hours ago, Jericho said:

Both for MVP. I always won top D. Higgins got boned on his one good shot.

"Always." 4 of 8. 4 of 8. The more I think about your Xander Harris avatar actually the more fitting I think it is for the career of Braxton. Bad ass? Sure. But still, always the side kick, never the savior. In this reality that would make....Conner Low Buffy then....

#ConnerLowthough :P 

Edited by Mr. Power

3 minutes ago, Mr. Power said:

"Always." 4 of 8. 4 of 8. The more I think about your Xander Harris avatar actually the more fitting I think it is for the career of Braxton. Bad ass? Sure. But still, always the side kick, never the savior. In this reality that would make....Conner Low Buffy then....

#ConnerLowthough :P 

Chris said the same thing. Why do people say 5/5 for Low and 4/8 for Braxton. It was ALSO 4/4...and 5/8.

By always I mean I was never boned by Streetlight voting for someone else out of some silly shenanigans. Every time I earned the trophy I won it, which is more than I can say for those two MVPs.

• Admin
5 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

Honestly though, absolutely SHOCKED that Sandro beat Greg for MVP. @Victor should've won that by a landslide

I also thought it was a typo at first :P

Nah, I can see the logic there - Toronto had better forwards than Riga and that's especially pronounced when both myself and Parechkin were on the ballot.

42 minutes ago, Victor said:

I also thought it was a typo at first :P

Nah, I can see the logic there - Toronto had better forwards than Riga and that's especially pronounced when both myself and Parechkin were on the ballot.

I can see the logic too, I guess it's just partly the insane save percentage, but also it seems like Greg had more value to Toronto than Sandro had to Riga. Greg has the advantage in Sv%, and on the surface that looks like it. Sandro has the advantage in wins, GAA, and SO. Wins I'd say are worthless, statistically crappy goalies like Chris Osgood won plenty of games because they played on good teams. Not saying this is the case but just using that as an example for how much that stat really tells. GAA I'd say is also not very useful, but because it's subjective. SOs is obviously a win, can't take that from him. just what I was looking at mainly was shots against, and here was my logic:

Sandro faced 1249 shots in 61 games, Greg faced 1626 in 64. That means Sandro faced on average 20.48 shots a game while Greg faced 25.41 shots a game. Not a huge difference, but as always it's easier to stop all 20 shots than all 25 shots.

If both of you kept the same save percentage but swapped shots against, you would get a drastically different picture. Greg let in 97 goals for a 1.50 GAA, Sandro let in 86 for a 1.40 GAA. But, if Greg faced the 1249 shots Sandro did, his Sv% would project that he would allow just 75 goals for a 1.16 GAA, while if Sandro faced the 1626 shots that Greg did, his Sv% would project that he would allow 112 goals for a 1.83 GAA. That puts Greg's value at about 10-15 goals more than Sandro.

that, and the fact that Riga had an actual user backup goalie.

so I guess in short what I'm saying is that Greg was the better goalie because of a superior Sv%, and was more valuable to his team because Greg was the bette goalie, got a lot more usage, and Toronto's alternative was much worse than Riga's alternative. That is just me though. I can see if people think Sandro was a better goalie that he would be more valuable, but I think the other two points point strongly to the fact that Greg meant more to Toronto than Sandro meant to Riga 

Edited by ADwyer87

8 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

Honestly though, absolutely SHOCKED that Sandro beat Greg for MVP. @Victor should've won that by a landslide

Victor the loser couldn't even take a team that won 3 championships in a row to a 4th. Sandro most valuable player to his team 100%.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Higgins said:

Victor the loser couldn't even take a team that won 3 championships in a row to a 4th. Sandro most valuable player to his team 100%.

Losing Marcel Faux's clutchness was too much of a blow.

48 minutes ago, Victor said:

Shit, only just now updating awards in the Hall of Fame I realised how good Calgary's regular season was. Second-most points and wins ever (record standing from S1).

What a choke.

I mean, that S1 record team also didn't win a championship.

4 hours ago, hedgehog337 said:

All these hits, shot blocks and second +/- ratio on Seattle were thrown out the window because let's just give the RoTY to a goalie who posted decent stats in a bad team. This result is a straight joke. 

You don't sound bitter at all.

Also you make it sound like it's easy to compare a goalie and a skaters stats. Also it wasn't like it was a close vote, if you really earned it maybe 70% of the GMs wouldn't have disagreed.