Claimed:Quiet Year [Reviewed]

wpid-20140929__140930wildrep-dumba.jpg

Quebec City Meute Defenseman, Felipe Rodriguez, is quietly having the best offensive season of his career. Through sixty two games, Flip has scored 13 goals to go along with 31 assists. He has matched his goal total from the past two seasons with nine games still remaining in the season. His 44  points surpasses his previous career high point total of 43. Despite the team’s success last year, his most productive season was actually his rookie year. It was also one of his better defensive seasons then with 189 blocked shots on the year. He has yet to reproduce blocking numbers close to that as he followed up with 96 blocked shots in S49. His 88 blocks so far this season give no indication he’ll be able to eclipse those numbers any time soon.

Rodriguez, despite being top ten in power play goals scored with six, was recently relegated to the Meute’s second power play unit in favor of running a four-forward unit with star defenseman, Phil Hamilton, running the point.  In fact, he has seen a decrease in almost all special teams categories. It is unclear why this has recently occurred however, his overall minutes per game have not taken a hit since the line changes.

Regardless, it’s hard to imagine his point production coming to a screeching halt and he should improve upon his now career high in assists and points and soon-to-be career high in goals. His 10 power play points are four shy of his rookie season when he had seven goals and seven assists for 14 total power play points with only 179 minutes with the man advantage compared to his 199 up to this point in the season.

Flip is just four points out of the top ten for defensemen behind the likes of Bubba Nuck, David Hamilton, and Titan Kronos. Of the three mentioned, Flip has the best plus-minus rating at plus-53. In fact, the entire Meute squad is towards the top of the plus-minus category. Flip has 150 hits while Hamilton and Kronos has 22 and 71 hits respectively. Nuck has played physical all season compiling 137 hits. The guys ahead of him are playing less minutes but doing more with the time they’re given. Flip will need to keep improving to catch up. He can’t expect those ahead of him to stop scoring so if he wants this to be a top ten season, he has some ground to make up.

In Flip’s favor though is the fact that all ahead of him besides Jeff Hamilton have played one or two more games than him. Also on his side is that the Quebec City Meute only play the Toronto Legion once during their remaining games. They also avoid Cologne for the rest of the season, a team that seemed to have Quebec’s number during the regular season.

The post season is approaching quickly and the Meute are all but guaranteed a spot in the post season. The big question will be what they can do when they get in. Will they be eliminated their first round in like last season?

I guess we’ll see.

Review:

Glad to see you doing well! Seems like you can make a good case for top 10 defenseman, and it's always good to have your scoring increase! I can understand your frustrations with blocked shots. I remember in the VHLM, 20 games in I led the league with 41 SB, then proceeded to get 15 SB for the next season and a half!

519 words :D 

3 hours ago, ADwyer87 said:

Review:

Glad to see you doing well! Seems like you can make a good case for top 10 defenseman, and it's always good to have your scoring increase! I can understand your frustrations with blocked shots. I remember in the VHLM, 20 games in I led the league with 41 SB, then proceeded to get 15 SB for the next season and a half!

519 words :D 

I thought I was having a down year so I was surprised to see I actually wasn't. Looks like 13 is my lucky number with goals though, I don't expect another goal before the season is up now.