The Lion, The Mutant and The Playoffs. [Reviewed]

The Lion, The Mutant and The Playoffs.

Looking back at the draft the Riga Reign were doubting between two possible selections, Titan Kronos who had a large desire to go first overall and Pietro Maximoff, a player that actually wanted to take a step back from the VHL in terms of activity. With that in mind Kronos was definitely the right pick, but the Reign felt they should try and add Maximoff to their roster as well. With that in mind they traded a first round pick for the upcoming draft (which was an expected lottery pick) to the Cologne Express to add Maximoff to their team.

what_could_have_been___pietro_maximoff_x 

The Riga Reign knew that Pietro would be loyal to them for the upcoming building seasons, so they felt it was worth the lottery pick despite the players in the next seasons draft being much higher in training hours. The pick that ended up with the Express eventually got traded to Seattle and as the season passed, it became more obvious that it would not be a lottery pick, but that the Riga Reign would actually make it to the playoffs. One of the biggest reasons for this was the line management of the Riga GM. After a World Cup where Pietro failed to score a single point; he started the season on the first line of the Reign line-up. A slow start and low numbers followed, and people started to doubt the trade that was made. Giving up a lottery pick for a player who doesn’t score does not seem like equal value. However, with the move of Maximoff to the second line, he blossomed and actually started putting up points left, right and center. The second line duties were a relief for Maximoff and he actually finished the season above a point per game average. Ending the season as most goals scored and most assists given amongst rookies he can look back at a satisfying year.

0601308001466650876_filepicker.jpg

After his World Cup performance he felt like he wouldn’t have a shot at the rookie of the year title, in his eyes he felt that Bogdan Podarok would be the guy to beat. Now the season has ended and he is actually 18 points above him, makes Pietro proud.

“I probably made the right decision to go to the VHL, people who claimed I wouldn’t be ready after my horrible performance at the World Cup were wrong. I am glad to be a valuable part of the Riga organization and hope to keep up my performance for them. I love playing on the second line and the chemistry with Babiy was amazing. I am happy for the chances I have gotten with Riga and hope to cause an upset in the Playoffs. Davos, prepare, we will not give up without a fight. If Iceland can win at the Euro’s, a team like Riga might be able to steal some wins in the playoffs”.

Riga is pumped and ready to go, while the HC Davos Dynamo might be the favorites in the series, the Reign sure will do all in their power to try and cause an upset.

Review:

good article, and a very nice rookie season! you came out of the gate running in the second half of the season, led Riga to the playoffs, and secured a well-earned Rookie of the Year award, congrats to you and good luck moving forward!

527 words :D