Claimed:Gow, Lynx Off to Strong Season [Reviewed]

Gow, Lynx Off to Strong Season

Life in the minors can be rough for a rookie. More often than not, you're playing against players who have had at least half a year of experience and training on a "try-out" contract the previous season or VHLM lifers who never progress to the next level. This can lead to a rough season statistically, especially towards the beginning when practice hours are lower. However, Ottawa Lynx rookie Shayne Gow has been putting in the hard work, and it's resulted in both individual and team success.

Through 58 games, Gow is tied for second on the team in points (48), fourth in blocked shots (53), and third in plus/minus (+30). It's safe to say at this point in his career, Shayne is known much more for his offense than his work in the defensive zone.

628x471.jpg

"My defense is definintely something I need to work on. It's never been my strong suit. Growing up, I was so much more skilled than my peers, so my coaches just let me go out there and do my own thing. Obviously that works when you're straight up more talented than the opposition, but the skill level in the VHLM is obviously much higher than what I'm used to. It's imperative to make the smart, safe plays instead of the high-risk, high-reward ones I've made my name doing."

Gow isn't the only member of the Lynx having success. Gow, Clan Mercer, Kendrick Cole, and AK47 are leading the team towards the top spot in the North American Conference. Currently 9 points up on the Saskatoon Wild (90 to 81), Ottawa is strolling towards a first round bye in the playoffs.

858328_eb.jpg

"We knew we were going to have a strong team this year, but I don't think anyone expected us to be where we are at this point," said Lynx GM Jardy Bunclewirth. "This team may not be the most talented team, but they work hard night in and night out. In the end, we've been putting more pucks in the net than the other team, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters. It may not be the prettiest hockey in the league, but it gets results."

With the season winding down, the Ottawa Lynx are going into the playoffs as the team to beat in North America. With 9 total Founder's Cups to their name, the fans in Ottawa are used to winning, and even though the Lynx recent one a cup in Season 46, the fans can see that this has a chance to bring home another championship. While the Bratislava Watchmen have had the Lynx's number so far this season, the playoffs are a different beast where anything can happen.

• JPL changed the title to Gow, Lynx Off to Strong Season [Reviewed]