Edition 274 | Are Goalies Bad?

Molholt

VHL Magazine 274 - Dropbox Version

VHL Magazine 274 - Issuu Version

Dropbox is your standard version, Issuu allows you to "flip" through it.

Tons of content this week, most of our writers are accounted for, including more from @Victor (2 in a row?!?!). Reflections on the All-star game changes from @sterling. TWO VHLM articles, that's right, two of them. So get into it VHLM guys. @Christmas and @ADwyer87 bringing you all of the VHLM action you could ever want, including an interview from the ever entertaining @KingRobbie. Check it out. 

• Admin

Top edition all around, solid interviewing there by @ADwyer87

And I agree with kesler's article for a change. Rookie race too close to call and I don't fancy Riga given Stockholm's hot streak. So perhaps it is Riga who will be this season's underdog win since Stockholm is no longer the underdog. :hmm: 

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

In my case, yes they are 

you say that but can probably walk into the VHL and perform at the level of established goalies. #badgoalies

• Commissioner

You have Award dark horses listed as both the title of the VHLM spotlight and the interview with Robbie, just saying.

I will say that goaltender's have seen a drop off in recent years. I don't know if it's just that scorers have gotten so much better or what. I think the major issue is that you can be a good scorer with only maxing out a few stats (Scoring, PH, Skating and Defense mostly) but to stop those scorers goalies realistically need to max out more (Rebound Control, Style Control, Hand Speed, Agility, Reaction Time and Size) and they start at a 5 point disadvantage. I guess you could argue that goalies have less to put points into and that's true but they have more when it comes to attributes that have a major impact.

Just my $.02

35 minutes ago, Victor said:

Top edition all around, solid interviewing there by @ADwyer87

Thanks! More to come in next issue :)

6 minutes ago, Beketov said:

You have Award dark horses listed as both the title of the VHLM spotlight and the interview with Robbie, just saying.

My article title was 'Around the VHLM: Interview With VHLM First Star of the Week Sir William Covington III', in case you were wondering ;)

24 minutes ago, Kendrick said:

^This is the reason the GM's forum voting is in place haha.

Campbell leads in every category

Yes, and the only category that matters is save pct. Campbell is the active goalie that received the less shots faced and obviously has the most stacked team of the league in front of him, offensively and defensively

so again, how is it obvious ? I'm telling you what's obvious, my vote for Weinstein for top goalie 

Edited by boubabi

26 minutes ago, boubabi said:

Yes, and the only category that matters is save pct. Campbell is the active goalie that received the less shots faced and obviously has the most stacked team of the league in front of him, offensively and defensively

so again, how is it obvious ? I'm telling you what's obvious, my vote for Weinstein for top goalie 

Campbell leads in Wins, Shutouts, Save Percentage, GAA and anything else thats positive. Whats obvious is the hate on Campbell cause he left Stockholm.

Oh, if you want to think that, good for you. Glad you don't have to vote, because I think voters have to think beyond the stats a little bit more than you are doing.

Edited by boubabi

1 minute ago, boubabi said:

Oh, if you want to think that, good for you. Glad you don't have to vote, because I think voters have to think beyond the stats a little bit more than you are doing.

Haha this guy. Let's all go look at previous voting years and see if he thought beyond haha

I did actually. Wanna make things clearer for you ? I shall do this, I have time.

The only individual stats that Campbell can control is pretty much the save pct. Wins, Shutouts and GAA are pretty much teams stats at that point. Guess what, Campbell has the Victory Cup in front of him. Even Okrantiz could had been decent in NY this year.

Do you know what is true tho ? Weinstein played behind 3 computers players, 3 VHLM caliber players for more than half of the season, and still had .923 save PCT (.001 behind Campbell) and has faced 300 more shots during the season while playing behind a 235 tpe defensemen in Zhukenov. I don't expect you to change your mind, considering I know how critical thinking isn't your strength.

This just in:

Carey Price - 44 Wins, 1.96 GAA, .933%, 9 SO, 1953 Shots Against

Braden Holtby - 41 Wins, 2.22 GAA, .923%, 9 SO, 2044 Shots Against

But, hey Holtby should've won over Price because he had more shots on him.