Health and Fitness - Motivational Thread

Advantage

CCucZe8.png

This thread can be for people sharing advice, sharing things they have tried, sharing their triumph when it comes to health and fitness, sharing their troubles...anything basically.  The idea is to have there be no judgment.  I think we all have struggled with something like this in our lifetime and for me at least, I think the only way I can get any progress made (at least to begin) is to share it with people I have gotten close to and known for quite some time.

For myself, I want to share my journey with everyone else and if you want to comment..that's great..but I just think having a no judgment zone or myself or anyone else could help with things like this.

I get my new gym card tomorrow for my new school so I am excited to start fresh there.  I have been working on eating healthier (albeit I could certainly be better) but still I have always struggled.  Five years ago I lost 40 lbs in a month and a half but then I let it get away and it's only gone up since.  So here is where I'm going to get personal.  I normally wouldn't do this but I figure maybe it will help keep me consistent this time:

- I weigh 370 lbs at this point in my life (Over 120 more than I did when I went to University)

- Yes, I am disgusted by it..but I haven't really done much about it either.

- I am heavily addicted to pop

- I don't drink or smoke

- I have absolutely zero confidence despite a supportive girlfriend, family and group of friends

- I don't like to set goals but I would love to get back down to my weight when I went to University by the time I graduate college next year

- Additionally, I want to get back to a point where I can comfortably play sports again (used to competitively play several in H.S.)

I plan to start going to the gym in-between my classes starting next week (4 days a week).  I don't really do anything else in-between class so it shouldn't be hard to do that.  Any advice is welcome but I think others sharing stories, journeys, advice, etc. would just be nice to read.  I don't know, maybe someone else is going through similar shit.

I might post some pictures at some point, but for now, I just have an older one:

216645_10150152103779885_1353131_n.jpg?o

^ At 310 (on the right)

Im not expert in this area but one thing thats important to consider is losinf weight is based heavily off of the foods you eat rather than exercise. Of course exercise is still important but if you eat crap food or drink lots of soda while exercising it isnt going to get much done. I wish you the best of luck with your health!

Good luck with this man. I went through something similar when I came to college, was a really skinny kid and had next to no self confidence and felt really shitty about myself. Started working out/weight training about a year ago and it was tough to stick it at first but I'm a lot happier with myself now. It's definitely a good idea to set goals to work to, even if they're just small things to start with as it really helps with motivation! But all the best man, I'm sure you'll be where you want to be sooner rather than later! :)

Just now, eaglesfan036 said:

Im not expert in this area but one thing thats important to consider is losinf weight is based heavily off of the foods you eat rather than exercise. Of course exercise is still important but if you eat crap food or drink lots of soda while exercising it isnt going to get much done. I wish you the best of luck with your health!

Certainly.  Pop is out of my house at the moment and I bought a Britta filter cause I really cannot stand tap water.

I cook a fair amount and I've been trying some things out that I think are not just healthy, but economical.

Appreciate the best wishes.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Good luck with this man. I went through something similar when I came to college, was a really skinny kid and had next to no self confidence and felt really shitty about myself. Started working out/weight training about a year ago and it was tough to stick it at first but I'm a lot happier with myself now. It's definitely a good idea to set goals to work to, even if they're just small things to start with as it really helps with motivation! But all the best man, I'm sure you'll be where you want to be sooner rather than later! :)

Good for you.  My buddy recently went through something similar and I think regardless of whether you are losing weight or gaining muscle, it takes a lot of dedication to stick with something like that.

Dont say your gonna do something, just do it. I was pretty bad with pop back in the day (like a couple cases a week) and I cut that out (started drinking water) and lost so much weight its unbelievable . Recently ive had some stomach problems so I have dropped 3 sizes in my waste and didnt really have to work to take it off but nonetheless I am eating a lot better. 

Seriously tho just drink water and dont drink that shit pop and you will be fine but good for you.

3 minutes ago, Dewie said:

Dont say your gonna do something, just do it. I was pretty bad with pop back in the day (like a couple cases a week) and I cut that out (started drinking water) and lost so much weight its unbelievable . Recently ive had some stomach problems so I have dropped 3 sizes in my waste and didnt really have to work to take it off but nonetheless I am eating a lot better. 

Seriously tho just drink water and dont drink that shit pop and you will be fine but good for you.

Ideally this is how it works.

I'm dedicated to going forward and doing it so that isn't the issue, but I do think sharing my journey (whether people give a shit or not) will only help.

Good to hear you are eating better.  Hope the stomach problems are not serious.

Water over pop is definitely the key thing.  It's my biggest struggle but I know if I cut out pop for water I shouldn't have an issue.

Edited by Advantage

best wishes friend, I was about 170 in my hs graduating class and that was 2 years ago now i am about 210. 220 was my high point but after going to the gym for about 3 weeks i cut 10 pounds. its hard to stay motivated to go to the gym because its been pretty busy and I too am addicted to pop. its just hard to eat right when i dont really like veggies and its hard to cook for myself because i cant really cook much things. 

but right now water i guess is the way to go hey guys? 

Edited by StevenStamkos91

2 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

best wishes friend, I was about 170 in my hs graduating class and that was 2 years ago now i am about 210. 220 was my high point but after going to the gym for about 2 weeks i cut 10 pounds. its hard to stay motivated to go to the gym because its been pretty busy and I too am addicted to pop. its just hard to eat right when i dont really like veggies and its hard to cook for myself because i cant really cook much things. 

Pop is such a hard thing to kick once you're in deep with it.  I used to dislike veggies (liked salad but not individual veggies)..but I have just been cutting them up real tiny and adding them to ground beef or sliced up chicken.  Helps a bit.

I used to do the juicing thing to help with it, but that's a lot of extra veggies to be buying and a lot more cleaning than I would like.

Edited by Advantage

3 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

best wishes friend, I was about 170 in my hs graduating class and that was 2 years ago now i am about 210. 220 was my high point but after going to the gym for about 3 weeks i cut 10 pounds. its hard to stay motivated to go to the gym because its been pretty busy and I too am addicted to pop. its just hard to eat right when i dont really like veggies and its hard to cook for myself because i cant really cook much things. 

yes its probably more in the head then anything else. I dont even know why I used to drink pop, because I liked it? idk. Now I have the mindset that if I dont need it there is no point. Obviously I cheat once in awhile but when you are out instead of grabbing a pop, just bring a water. 

Thats why I love flavored waters and stuff like perrier. 

2 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Pop is such a hard thing to kick once you're in deep with it.  I used to dislike veggies (liked salad but not individual veggies)..but I have just been cutting them up real tiny and adding them to ground beef or sliced up chicken.  Helps a bit.

I used to do the juicing thing to help with it, but that's a lot of extra veggies to be buying and a lot more cleaning than I would like.

i had a really good talk with @Kendrick one time, he said when we get hungry at night its because our body is dehydrated so if you drink more water you will feel less hungry at night. 

1 minute ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

i had a really good talk with @Kendrick one time, he said when we get hungry at night its because our body is dehydrated so if you drink more water you will feel less hungry at night. 

Yeah I think I've read that before.

It really makes no sense to drink pop.  With that being said, I've said that for years.

1 minute ago, Dewie said:

yes its probably more in the head then anything else. I dont even know why I used to drink pop, because I liked it? idk. Now I have the mindset that if I dont need it there is no point. Obviously I cheat once in awhile but when you are out instead of grabbing a pop, just bring a water. 

Thats why I love flavored waters and stuff like perrier. 

i use mio but thats like sugar. but its better than not drinking water at all, i used to just pour that stuff in my water and which basically destroyed the point lol. but i gradually have been putting less and less in so i will have just water at some point. hopefully everything works out chris, i think posting about it will help and i will start posting some stuff too. my GF and I are going to the gym. i usually run a couple KM's while she does yoga then we both do either arms or legs+abs. so thats good however its been since sunday since we went so like i said its hard to stay motivated. 

2 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

i use mio but thats like sugar. but its better than not drinking water at all, i used to just pour that stuff in my water and which basically destroyed the point lol. but i gradually have been putting less and less in so i will have just water at some point. hopefully everything works out chris, i think posting about it will help and i will start posting some stuff too. my GF and I are going to the gym. i usually run a couple KM's while she does yoga then we both do either arms or legs+abs. so thats good however its been since sunday since we went so like i said its hard to stay motivated. 

Yeah I've tried that mio/crystal light shit before but yeah not sure if it would help me cause I think I'd probably do the same.

That's good.  Always nice when you can go with somebody.  Hoping I can convince my one roommate to join me a couple times a week.

15 minutes ago, StevenStamkos91 said:

Yeah I would say try and get off that mio all together. There is stuff that is 0 calories that tastes good if thats what you are looking for. 

I'll give it to you this way, if it has a taste factor in it, it's not giving you the effects that water is. At some point you have to slap yourself in the face and own up to the fact that: taste = sugar. If it isn't water than it's sugar, carbonation or acids going into your stomach lining. Some say its hard to do, but once you get into the lifestyle of not drinking that crap, your brain just says it's "Bad".

Also if you are having troubles sleeping at all, just know that your body does most of its de-tox while your sleeping. If you are not hydrated well, your body can't go through its proper steps to make sure you wake up feeling refreshed. The biggest thing when losing weight is choosing when you stop eating food during the day.

As everyone has concluded, pop is mostly bad. If you cut pop and did nothing else, you'd probably still see results over time.

Anyway, here are my recommendations:

1. Download the MyFitnessPal app. It makes watching your calorie intake infinitely easier. For the longest time I could never figure out why I couldn't gain weight even though I generally eat a shit-ton every meal I eat. The answer was because A. I'm pretty tall and therefore have to eat A LOT, B. I often slept through/skipped breakfast, and C. I actually had no idea how many calories I was actually taking in in a day. It was quite a bit less than I thought. I personally need to eat 3000+ calories a day to start reaching my goal weight, and I wasn't/don't hit that nearly as often as I thought.

Moral of the story: Losing weight is about calories in vs. calories out. Calories are trickier than they seem, so download the app to get a visual of how much your taking in.

2. Get into a routine of going to the gym. You don't even really need to work out that much when you go at first. Walk on the treadmill for 15 minutes and leave if you want. As long as you go and keep going, you will eventually get used to it and accept it as part of your routine.

3. Definitely go with someone if possible. If not (or even if so), check if your gym offers any classes and/or group workouts. They're actually quite satisfying, and being around other people keeps you honest. If you're worried about being judged, just remember that judging someone heavy at the gym is the dumbest fucking thing I've heard of in my life. That's like going to a French class and laughing at people for being shitty at French.

4. Always be conscience of your weight goals. Whenever you want a pop, think "It would be better if I had water/OJ instead." If you just got home from a long stressful shitty day of school and you just want to eat supper and play a little 'chell and pass out rather than go to the gym, think, "I don't have time to work out so I'll go for a quick walk instead." Basically whatever action you do, think if there's a better option that would help you instead.

And don't be afraid to rely on your family/girlfriend/support group either. Maybe strike up a deal with your boo that you get a BJ for every X amount of pounds you lose, or a HJ for every time you go to the gym. Something like that.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

1 minute ago, Advantage said:

@Kendrick

Any good simple gym exercises? (or even something outside of the gym to do)

I usually just lift some weights and do cardio but I usually don't really have some kind of specific routine.

Yeah dude! I got a perfect one for you. I highly recommend downloading the app SworkIt. It's very cut/clear on what you do and you can work around your schedule with it. Also you can set how long you want the instructor to coach you through. Just give it a try, if you hate it delete it. It's for your smart phone but I'll tell you I started to use it for basic core workouts and it helped me lose 7 pounds in the first week.

*I had to cut weight because there is no advantage to working with 210lbs.

2 minutes ago, JardyB10 said:

4. Always be conscience of your weight goals. Whenever you want a pop, think "It would be better if I had water/OJ instead." If you just got home from a long stressful shitty day of school and you just want to eat supper and play a little 'chell and pass out rather than go to the gym, think, "I don't have time to work out so I'll go for a quick walk instead." Basically whatever action you do, think if there's a better option that would help you instead.

The part that is bolded can't be stressed enough. It is the biggest weakness of people trying to cut weight.

5 minutes ago, Dewie said:

Yes thats true as well, dont eat within an hour an of going sleep or else that energy just turns into fat. 

Not only that, your sleep will not be very good as your body is still focusing on digesting and not what it should be doing.

RULE #1: Digesting is a deed your body wants done...when you're awake.