S46: Grading Revamp/VHLM GMs

Will

• Senior Admin

I have a few changes to announce that we and the BoG have come up with over the past couple of weeks, one having an impact on most you of you and the other not so much.

Overhauling the Grading System
The grading system that the VHL has used for the past 45 seasons is outdated, and we think it's time to modernize it. Most of us felt that we shouldn't really be 'grading' peoples work and docking them points when they come on our website after school to have fun, not to get graded more. 

So, we've come up with a new system that will come into effect immediately. Here's how it's going to work (note that this applies to all media spots, graphics, videos, and podcasts):

- There will be a template stating what is required for each point task in each respective forum. These will be posted shortly after this. So long as your point task meets the criteria of that template, it is an automatic 6 and you claim it immediately after posting.
- Graders will still be employed to provide feedback and check point tasks against the criteria. If there is an issue, they will get in touch with the poster, tell them whats wrong with it, and allow them to edit it. In essence, the only two grades will be 6 and 0 but we will give people the opportunity to fix it if they don't meet our modest criteria.
- Graphic graders in particular will still be paid to provide feedback on every graphic that is posted, as we realize that feedback from experienced people goes a long way in sig making.

We hope this makes our point task system a little more attractive, because the goal is that as long as one of our members puts in a little bit of effort, we want them to get that 6. We also don't want to be turning away people who might not have great English skills. Eliminating the wait for grades should also help members and they don't have to worry about waiting for a grade if they wait until the weekend to do their point task.

VHLM GMs
VHLM GMs have one of the most important job on the forum, and that is helping and mentoring new members who join the league. This has always been the larger purpose of VHLM GMs, compared to VHL GMs where I suppose you could consider their main concern is winning the cup.

Due to both the nature and the importance of their job, we feel that paying VHLM GMs on a weekly basis could provide an incentive for them to go the extra mile when it comes to new members. It also might cause some people to apply who usually wouldn't, since VHLM GM'ing is more of a 'job'.

VHLM GMs will now receive 1 TPE/week for their efforts. If they have other jobs, they can elect go without pay if they wish to GM anyways. With this though, we will now have higher expectations and standards for GMs. 

TL;DR Version
- Point tasks are now an auto-6 as long as you put the minimal amount of effort we ask of you in, which will be specified in each PT forum
- You can claim point tasks as soon as you post them
- Graphic graders will still give you feedback to help improve
- VHLM GMs will now be paid

2 tpe a week is a lot imo, plus, considering gms receive tpes from players who achieves a certain tpe amount during their time, is already a nice benefit. VHL GM still gotta encourage activity in their LR and shits imo

but good shit

• Senior Admin

2 tpe a week is a lot imo, plus, considering gms receive tpes from players who achieves a certain tpe amount during their time, is already a nice benefit. VHL GM still gotta encourage activity in their LR and shits imo

but good shit

Yes but VHLM GMing feels like more of a job than VHL GM, you know? There's a lot more prestige and whatnot in being a VHL GM, whereas a VHLM GM's primary concern should be helping and guiding new members rather than winning. Also a lot of new members who will apply to be GM won't have other jobs so it will help them.

how's the pay works for the graders now

Will post something here or in the grading forum when finalized, for graphics we will likely make it a lower amount of graphics 'graded' per TPE so that graders can provide good feedback to each graphic.

• Commissioner

In my day we only got 4 TPE from PT's and we bloody well had to earn it! Damn yungins these days just want everything handed to them!

*grumble grumble grumble*

I just hope people don't use this as an excuse to get stagnant and not try to improve their work any. Is the grading team allowed to keep an eye on progress as part of our judgement if the piece deserves full points? I just wouldn't want to see GFX makers stop trying to do new things or get better because they can get 6's no matter what.

• Senior Admin

In my day we only got 4 TPE from PT's and we bloody well had to earn it! Damn yungins these days just want everything handed to them!

I just hope people don't use this as an excuse to get stagnant and not try to improve their work any. Is the grading team allowed to keep an eye on progress as part of our judgement if the piece deserves full points? I just wouldn't want to see GFX makers stop trying to do new things or get better because they can get 6's no matter what.

I don't think that will be a problem. We're now paying graphic graders for the express purpose of giving sig makers feedback and advice and I think for the most part, graphic guys WANT to improve a lot more so than say a writer. You know what I mean? I think people care more if their sig sucks more so than they would if their media spot did :P

In any case, docking people when they are trying is doing nothing aside from discouraging people. Hell, my first point task in the league was a graphic and I got a 5 on it. Guess what I haven't posted since? I did want to keep working at it, but at the time I wasn't willing to sacrifice TPE for it and so I never returned. 

I don't think that will be a problem. We're now paying graphic graders for the express purpose of giving sig makers feedback and advice and I think for the most part, graphic guys WANT to improve a lot more so than say a writer. You know what I mean? I think people care more if their sig sucks more so than they would if their media spot did :P

In any case, docking people when they are trying is doing nothing aside from discouraging people. Hell, my first point task in the league was a graphic and I got a 5 on it. Guess what I haven't posted since? I did want to keep working at it, but at the time I wasn't willing to sacrifice TPE for it and so I never returned. 

I did the same thing back in the day, never did one after that.

• Admin

My only concern is actually that some good Media Spots might move into Updated Point Tasks even more quickly - as in, posted, linked, updated, all in like an hour. Reduces some discussion.

But I suppose it's a necessary hit.

My only concern is actually that some good Media Spots might move into Updated Point Tasks even more quickly - as in, posted, linked, updated, all in like an hour. Reduces some discussion.

You say that like the updaters do their job more than once a week. Unless the PT is close to when updaters update, it's not that big of an issue.

• Admin

You say that like the updaters do their job more than once a week. Unless the PT is close to when updaters update, it's not that big of an issue.

People post more Media Spots near the end of the week so I think there is a noticeable impact. Like I said though, not really important but I'm sure it will happen a bit more.