General GFX Discussions/Questions

boubabi

Today's question. Does simulated leagues' graphics are lacking in creativity nowadays ? Let me explain. Navigating on some sim league, I can obviously see a pattern going on. (Over) Topaz'ed render, with a basic font and basic soft brush lighting. I know, it seems like a very basic statement. No offense to gorlab's comment, but as you can see, uncommon sigs size are sometime criticize and I don't think they should.

I'm glad I don't need to post a graphic every week since I feel like my work would be most of the time be rushed and non creative. Sure, with the ability we all got, we seem to stay in our comfort zone to have the result that is most likely "accepted" by the others, but shouldn't we see more and more creativity with the rising number of "sim" GFX instead of the same recycled style ? An artist like Koradek have been known to have a very particular style, which made him very popular. But, I always criticize him (and myself) for not trying to go beyond that. So what really is an artist ? Someone who is able to produce the best "result" or someone that is able to be versatile in his style ?

I know it's somewhat vague, but what is your opinion on that, guys.

Edited by boubabi

I liked it Kendrick, nice colouring IMO.

Also yes boubabi I see your point, but I think there are only a small few actual talented gfx people on sim sites, and the majority of "sig makers" (myself included) just find a lane of making sigs (over-topaz'd render, basic font work, soft brushing) and don't stray out of it because they don't actually have graphic design talent or, at least, any type of training or instruction, besides online tutorials, which are alright but far from great resources (and tbh watching a 20+ min youtube video to learn something new is something I rarely am ever going to do).

It might be different if I was striving to make a living off of gfx design or something, but I'm not. I got into graphics to build sim players, and that's still it's main use for me. So there really is no strive to become better / incorporate more techniques, to me at least.

I liked it Kendrick, nice colouring IMO.

Also yes boubabi I see your point, but I think there are only a small few actual talented gfx people on sim sites, and the majority of "sig makers" (myself included) just find a lane of making sigs (over-topaz'd render, basic font work, soft brushing) and don't stray out of it because they don't actually have graphic design talent or, at least, any type of training or instruction, besides online tutorials, which are alright but far from great resources (and tbh watching a 20+ min youtube video to learn something new is something I rarely am ever going to do).

That and i think a lot of them go too fast to actually understand what they are doing. For the most part PS is a foreign language to some, so when they go fast it sucks.

it could be arguable, but at this point, I don't think "talent" is much of an issue here or with artist. If we were speaking of drawing pieces of art, yes, some sort of talent is required. But, in the sig making, it's basically just execution and stock work.

People often complains that they don't have enough "stock" to work with to be creative. I think this mind set is restricting because we set to our-self invisible limits that restrain our creativity. Most of my work now involves me doing most of the "texture" work. If anyone saw my stream, they can see that my render efx and lighting are made by me. Yes, some people who are new to Photoshop won't be able to understand all the tools in the software, therefore are limited in their art making. But, what is somewhat frustrate me is that I always compare myself to others in term of my learning process. 95% of any GFX in the sim league progressed faster than me. By that I mean that their sig making ability went rooftop so quickly, because they were able to receive some advises from others and somewhat some models to be inspired from. But me, when I learned how to use Photoshop, I learned it from scratch. I wasn't told to use a filter (Topaz) to make my render looks good. That's why I feel some people were "spoiled" in their beginnings, because they learned to do things to look "good" with a single click.

I might look like I'm bashing the users of Topaz and shits, but I'm not. Personally, I don't use that software anymore, it is a great piece of software, but I feel like the results I'm looking for are beyond that. This is the sort of pattern that I see from many new GFX out there. I'm glad to see that there's some people interested in doing GFX, but I think GFX is all about trying new things and even if you don't plan to do that as your job or something, I just think it is rewarding to see that your artwork inspires people to greater things and that's how we create an infinite chain of inspiration and creativity. 

and most of the active GFX people here has an astonish progression in their ability to create sig. Sadly, I feel like sky should be the limit but most of the time, people restrain them self to a lower level just because they aren't letting the creative part of their dig making and just stay into the "I must produce something" like it was a work task, which shouldn't be the case imo.

I feel like an hypocrite right now, because as a GM, of course, I want you to produce a shit load of sig just so you are able to do a PT every week, that is my job. But as an artist (which is very vague term), progression in your GFX game is key to greater things. 

Edited by boubabi

Keep in mind a lot of people just do graphics for TPE on sim sites, they couldn't care less if they are improving. Wrong mentality? Sure in some minds, but this people aren't attempting to do this for a career or have purpose beyond the sim league aspect.

Intrinsic Motivation

Intrinsic motivation means that the individual's motivational stimuli are coming from within. The individual has the desire to perform a specific task, because its results are in accordance with his belief system or fulfills a desire and therefore importance is attached to it.

Our deep-rooted desires have the highest motivational power. Below are some examples:

• Acceptance: We all need to feel that we, as well as our decisions, are accepted by our co-workers.
  • Curiosity: We all have the desire to be in the know.
  • Honor: We all need to respect the rules and to be ethical.
  • Independence: We all need to feel we are unique.
  • Order: We all need to be organized.
  • Power: We all have the desire to be able to have influence.
  • Social contact: We all need to have some social interactions.
  • Social Status: We all have the desire to feel important.
Extrinsic Motivation

Extrinsic motivation means that the individual's motivational stimuli are coming from outside. In other words, our desires to perform a task are controlled by an outside source. Note that even though the stimuli are coming from outside, the result of performing the task will still be rewarding for the individual performing the task.

Extrinsic motivation is external in nature. The most well-known and the most debated motivation is money. Below are some other examples:

• Employee of the month award
  • Benefit package
  • Bonuses
  • Organized activities

boubabi trying to motivate you lil niggas

oBhebxW.png

sry babdi, my life has been lost to the streets, but i actually believe your attitude and effort could help someone else become a great artist. For that I would use a ovation emoticon, but Victor refuses to put in =D> 

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2017 at 0:35 AM, boubabi said:

Hello my dudes

I found a great video explaining the golden ratio vs the rules of third, which are kinda important in the sig making game, so if you have 4 minutes to spare, go take a look

The interesting thing about this is that if you're going to truly try to use the Golden Ratio, you'd have to use funky dimensions for your canvas... primarily funky because sigs would have to be taller than what a lot of people tend to use.  I'm going to try to do one with the GR, and see how it goes, but it's admittedly messing with my head, atm.

Another thing my dudes

Fuck topaz, it's a garbage plugin

Use this instead, google bought this, it's free and it's amazing

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

especially the analog efx pro, I live by that.

Remember guys, don't over do your render efx !!!

Edited by boubabi

3 hours ago, boubabi said:

Another thing my dudes

Fuck topaz, it's a garbage plugin

Use this instead, google bought this, it's free and it's amazing

https://www.google.com/nikcollection/

especially the analog efx pro, I live by that.

Remember guys, don't over do your render efx !!!

I learned about this from @Cope and switched to it immediately. I mostly mess with the HDR and Color efx. I'll have to check out analog...

21 hours ago, Pandar said:

The interesting thing about this is that if you're going to truly try to use the Golden Ratio, you'd have to use funky dimensions for your canvas... primarily funky because sigs would have to be taller than what a lot of people tend to use.  I'm going to try to do one with the GR, and see how it goes, but it's admittedly messing with my head, atm.

What kind of dimensions? I used to do some odd sizes in SBA and some other sims..

dupree.png

Or would it be even worse/taller than that?