Who embraced the spirit of the Super Cup? [Final 6/6]

Tagger

Article is for Week Commencing 8/31

5wgpjk.png

The Season 44 Super Cup Draft took place last night and while it didn’t quite reach the level of the previous tournament in terms of active players taken (as that draft had no inactives selected in it), it certainly had enough actives eligible to feel positive about the current direction the VHL is headed in. Because there weren’t enough active players to fill an entire draft, a rule change was made to allow inactives to be eligible for selection at any point in the draft. However, this was to be used at the GM’s discretion as the aim of the Super Cup is to promote activity, something which simply would not be possible if teams were largely filled with inactives. Some General Managers did a great job of managing to keep their teams full of actives while still being able to form a formidable roster but others did not do so well in this regard. Let’s see how each of them did:

A-plus-300.jpg

The Superb

CowboyInAmerica

Inactives Taken: None

If this were solely an opinion-based article, then I can understand if anyone were to call me biased by saying that my Super Cup General Manager had a great draft, but luckily for you I’m more than happy to provide you with the facts to back this up. The first thing that sticks out to me about the draft that Mr. Warren had was that he managed to avoid drafting a single inactive player, which considering the strength of his team is an impressive feat. Outside of Gifford Shock (who’s been more relaxed recently in his point task production) everyone on the team is a consistent contributor to the forum and the vast majority of the team have a job within the VHL, varying from admin and moderators to graders and financiers. A lot of these players are also vocal both on the board and in the locker room, so I’m excited for the permissions to be sorted.

Streetlight

Inactives Taken: None

Mr. Warren wasn’t the only General Manager to make a fully active roster. My podcasting buddy Mr. Helberg also did a great job of prioritizing actives over inactives and, like CowboyInAmerica’s team, still manages to look strong on paper. With three General Managers, two Administrators, two B.O.G members and a large Wranglers-contingent, the team’s locker room should be active with plenty of discussion.

Oh, and they’re also probably going to win the tournament because they got Higgins.

B-report_card.jpg

The Good

Ahma

Inactives Taken: Joseph Roy III, AIM-11

The agent of Season 44 draftee Simon Valmount, Ahma is the most recent of the six Super Cup General Managers to join the league, but that didn’t hurt him one bit as (asides from a few players) he was still able to pick a largely active roster. Drafting from the same position that Brekker Bad selected from last tournament, the only inactives that Ahma took were Joseph Roy III and AIM-11. Both of these guys are forwards, so it is slightly disappointing to see they were taken considering there ended up being actives at the position that weren’t, but they’ve done a good job at having nothing but actives at the weaker defenseman position. The only other slight criticism I would give was that, while the vast majority of the players Ahma selected can be considered active, some of the players’ recent activity has been lacking, which could potentially lead to a quieter locker room. For example, players like Jerrick Poole, Tyson Stokes and E’Twaun Delicious have not been visiting as frequently as they once used to, so it will up to the more vocal members selected such as Phil Hamilton and Thomas O’Malley to fill in for them in the locker room.

DollarAndADream

Inactives Taken: Jack Kowalski, King Czar III, Lukas Nykvist

With StevenStamkos91’s player forgoing the Super Cup, DollarAndADream’s player Zac h Parechkin is the youngest player to have been automatically drafted to a Super Cup Team. Being over a season away from being drafted to a VHL team though, a good draft was important to make up for the talent disadvantage Parechkin had on other General Managers like Lloyd Light and Hans Wingate. For the most part, DollarAndADream was able to draft a good amount of actives, with only three inactives being drafted to the roster. Two of these inactives (Jack Kowalski and King Czar III) are defensemen, a position that didn’t have any leftover actives after the draft while the other inactive (Lukas Nykvist) was taken in an attempt to get him more interested in the league, so at least when DollarAndADream took inactives there were good reasons as to why. I think one thing that’s likely is that this team will be the one to generate the most trash-talk in the game threads, having drafted Tyler Cote, Jody 3 Moons and Niklaus Mikaelson, something which should help to generate activity and discussion for the competition.

bad-grade-c.jpg

The Disappointing

Paramorise

Inactives Taken: Joshua Rubin, Koji Yamakazi, Patrick Demko, Andrew Erikson, George Patton, Fedir Okranitz

While Raphael Pettyfer has been an active player throughout his four season career, I was somewhat surprised to see Paramorise apply for the Super Cup General Manager position as nearly all of the posts I had seen from the member were just point task submissions. However, as I can attest to, getting a Super Cup General Manager job is a great way to put yourselves out there and show what you’re capable of without any long-term commitments or planning. Unfortunately though, I was still somewhat disappointed in the number of inactives that she took in the draft. With six of the seventeen players Paramorise selected being inactive, the team will have the second most inactives in this Super Cup and double the amount of inactives in comparison to the team with the next-most inactives. Being a fairly new member it’s perhaps understandable that Paramorise wouldn’t be aware of who is active or not, but you would think that given the fact that she was selected as a General Manager four days before the draft took place, that this would have been enough time to check up on which members were active and which members weren’t prior to the draft. I think the biggest downside for that team could well be its locker room presence as the team’s three most vocal players are Marcus Hurley, Mason Richardson and Bruno Wolf. Wolf and Richardson don’t exactly have the best of histories with each other and Hurley and Wolf might also have problems stemming from the Quebec-Calgary rivalry, so both of these conflicts could lead to a fairly awkward locker room.

StevenStamkos91

Inactives Taken: Brady Stropko, Jakub Rhinehart, Prince Gigga-Bijou, Brandon Holmes, Griffin Simons, Coca-Cola, Steve Tremblay

Having been on hiatus whilst representing former VHL defenseman Dimothensis Vlasis, Stamkos came back into the league eager to get involved right away, as demonstrated by his successful application to become not only a Super Cup General Manager, but also as a VHLM General Manager. Although it’s great to see that early surge of activity, looking at the draft that he had showed that his hiatus probably affected his judgement. Whether it was him forgetting what the Super Cup was about or him no longer being familiar with who was active or not, Stamkos has found himself on a team with seven inactive players, the most inactives on any team in this Super Cup and perhaps even in Super Cup history. Stamkos became the first General Manager to select an inactive in this draft when he selected former Seattle Bears General Manager Brady Stropko in the fourth round. In that specific instance I think I’m actually ok with when he was drafted, as I’d much rather see Brady Stropko selected around a point where other teams are selecting players with similar TPE as opposed to him being selected at the same time teams are picking players with half the TPE of Stropko. At the same time though, it’s disappointing to see Stropko partnered by so many other inactives, especially considering three of those taken were forwards, the one position that had an excess amount of actives. In the locker room I will give Stamkos the slight edge over Paramorise, as I believe that of the actives he did select, he did select some better locker room characters (such as Boom and Boubabi), but the number of inactives these said actives are sharing a team with will hurt that locker room’s activity.

Edited by XaviYEAH! Woods

Content 3/3 - I was confused why you were submitting to PTs this week, and always got excited for more New Day... I have been let down! Good stuff here though. Super Cup should be about getting some more activity in the off-season so I agree with these standings.

Grammar 2/2 - I didn't catch a thing. Good stuff.

Appearance 1/1 - Looks good!

Final 6/6

• 3 weeks later...