Der Meister's Writing (and YouTube!) Thread: Live from the Waiting Room!

der meister

• 2 months later...

Came up with a new idea for a novel this morning during my drive in. Briefly described the plot to my coworker and, when finished, asked him if it sounded intriguing, horrifying, wretched...?

He said "Intriguing, dark suspense. Probably not horrifying, though it depends on how vividly you describe eating people."

My response, because it's 4:30 in the afternoon and my brain is fried: "Well, it won't be glossed over, but it won't be page upon page of loving detail like the prepubescent sewer gangbang in "It"."

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Almost a month later, so I thought I'd check in. I just finished writing chapter 4 tonight, and am up to 18129 words. The goal is revised to 85k, with the idea that 5-10k will be edited away if I'm able to get any kind of book deal out of this and end up working with a professional editor. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, der meister said:

Nope. Caucasian. So I mean sort of I guess. Thanks, etymology!

She seems like a good Avenue to explore for your book, seems like your books are her strength 

2 minutes ago, Smarch said:

She seems like a good Avenue to explore for your book, seems like your books are her strength 

I agree. She's my favorite of the 4 who want me to submit my book. One is very Christian and in Tennessee, so I dunno about that one. Especially if I'm looking for someone to rep the kid and adult books.

Submitted to two of the agents, with a quick Binding of Isaac break in between. About to submit to the 3rd. Fingers crossed. The one mentioned above is still by far my favorite, but that's based off of a few short paragraphs and how gosh darn cute she is. :lol:

Boy...that was stupid. I used the wrong tag in the tweet. *sigh* Stupid mistake on my part. Just have to wait for another twitter pitch thing I guess. Back to the novel.

Edited by der meister

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The book is done, edits are [partially] made, and several agents requested that I send things to them during a recent Twitter pitch event. All in all, it's been a busy shitstorm of a year, but maybe it's finally turning around. 

• 8 months later...

Been a while since I updated this thread, but today (Sunday) only, you can pick up one of my short stories absolutely free on Amazon. It’s sci-fi, it’s horror. There’s boobs and blood and death and a rollicking good time.

https://www.amazon.com/What-Happened-Next-Alex-Emerson-ebook/dp/B01LYYO8IL

21 hours ago, der meister said:

Been a while since I updated this thread, but today (Sunday) only, you can pick up one of my short stories absolutely free on Amazon. It’s sci-fi, it’s horror. There’s boobs and blood and death and a rollicking good time.

damn I missed it

21 hours ago, der meister said:

Nice Der Meister. Do you use Watt Pads at all to also publish short stories? Its free which I'm guessing you know. 

Im going to look at your work soon.

As it is I'm an aspiring bootlegger and have officially sold three bottles of wine and a 24 flat of home made beer. I'm hoping to expand sales in the future.

Congrats DM!!

1 hour ago, Exlaxchronicles said:

Nice Der Meister. Do you use Watt Pads at all to also publish short stories? Its free which I'm guessing you know. 

Im going to look at your work soon.

As it is I'm an aspiring bootlegger and have officially sold three bottles of wine and a 24 flat of home made beer. I'm hoping to expand sales in the future.

Congrats DM!!

Thanks, and good luck to you as well. I haven’t used watt pad; I’m trying to get an agent to rep my debut novel. Attempting to use the traditional route.

2 hours ago, Beaviss said:

damn I missed it

Sorry dude. I considered using the members tag but that felt shitty.

• 1 year later...

Hey, this is my thread! ❤️

For those who care: I don’t send a lot of queries, so it’s a slow process. Pitching one novel under one pen name and a children’s chapter book under another. Also about 40% done with the first draft of a Young Adult fantasy novel, and 50% done with the sequel to the aforementioned chapter book.

• 6 months later...

I have my full manuscript out to a really incredible agent who is the head of a major agency, per his request. It's been a few weeks. He tweeted yesterday that full manuscript responses generally take about 3 months. Just in case anyone is wondering why this is taking so goddamn long.