Official Movie Discussion

Devise

How does this thread not exist yet?

Saw Gravity earlier this week, Tuesday to be exact. Holy wow what a great film. Up there with some of the best in my honest opinion. Very simple plot, that avoids any typical Hollywood cheese lines or things of that nature. But the cinematography in that film...my goodness. One of if not the best I have ever seen in any movie. Some of the most majestic destruction I've ever witnessed. If you like the art of filmmaking go see this in Imax 3D. It's worth it.

I've never been a big fan of 3d either and felt the best 3D movie Avatar still felt like it made a big deal out of the 3D effects at the expense of the film. The use of 3D in gravity felt natural, it never distracted me...hell I never even noticed it was some big 3D moment either, which from me is a huge compliment. It was organic and natural and made even more excellent by the great camera work. 

I watched "The prisoners" about a week ago. It was a fucking great movie, loved everything in about. Still dont know what the guy with all the snakes in the boxes was about.

Anyways I would give it a 9/10, suggest everybody watch it.

Edited by flyersfan1493
No spoilers.

Captain Philips is a solid movie. Sucks that the crew came out and said the movie was not true to life. But as a movie it was good. Cuts right to the crap with minimal foreplay building to the climax peaks of the movie.

EDIT: Why the hell would you recommend a movie after telling them the ending. You're level of stupid is beyond age.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

I watched "The prisoners" about a week ago. It was a fucking great movie, loved everything in about. Still dont know what the guy with all the snakes in the boxes was about.

Anyways I would give it a 9/10, suggest everybody watch it.

Maybe they would if you wouldn't spoil the last scene you fuck!

Edited by flyersfan1493
Edited original post.

Really wanted to see gravity but haven't do so yet.

I just got back from the prisoners and I have to say it was way better than I expected its probably not a nine like Kesler said but Id give it a solid 7 on a scale of all movies and maybe a 9 for a typical action movie.  The plot was different than the traditional shootem up type thing and it wasn't until the end that the movie started to get ridiculous with the one-liners and the usual kill everyone stuff.  Rotten Tomatoes has an overall score in the low mid 40s I disagree completely.

Edited by Mike

Captain Philips is a solid movie. Sucks that the crew came out and said the movie was not true to life. But as a movie it was good. Cuts right to the crap with minimal foreplay building to the climax peaks of the movie.

EDIT: Why the hell would you recommend a movie after telling them the ending. You're level of stupid is beyond age.

What exactly did they say was different? I watched a documentary on the story on National Geographics and it was pretty cool. So I pretty much only know the real-life side of it and not the "Hollywood" version.

What exactly did they say was different? I watched a documentary on the story on National Geographics and it was pretty cool. So I pretty much only know the real-life side of it and not the "Hollywood" version.

Crew was angry of how much the captain was shown as a "hero" in the movie, when really he seemed self centered and only watched out for himself. Also they stated how the captain ignored piracy warnings and travelled 200 or something miles from the coast rather than the suggested 600. But the negatives were not show.

Being October and all, I've been on a horror movie binge. Between AMC's FearFest and... other means, I've been watching a bunch of horror movies from the 70s and 80s.

I watched A Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time, it actually holds up decently. The acting isn't so great, but by the second half of the movie Heather Langenkamp and Johnny Depp seemed to settle into the roles a bit more and do a better job. It's a creepy movie and got me good once, so I'm happy.

The Evil Dead was pretty solid too, the gore was really cringe-worthy and gross and it got me to jump once as well. I want to check out the reboot since it's supposed to be pretty good as well.

The Exorcist had some creepy moments but was pretty "meh" overall I thought.

Out of all the old horror flicks I've watched of late, Carrie was definitely the scariest. It builds up for so long and when everything hits, it's just like "HOLYSHITHOLYSHITHOLYSHIT". And the one time it made me jump, I'm pretty sure my heart skipped a bit. My friend took great pleasure in seeing me freaked the fuck out. <_<

How does this thread not exist yet?

Saw Gravity earlier this week, Tuesday to be exact. Holy wow what a great film. Up there with some of the best in my honest opinion. Very simple plot, that avoids any typical Hollywood cheese lines or things of that nature. But the cinematography in that film...my goodness. One of if not the best I have ever seen in any movie. Some of the most majestic destruction I've ever witnessed. If you like the art of filmmaking go see this in Imax 3D. It's worth it.

I've never been a big fan of 3d either and felt the best 3D movie Avatar still felt like it made a big deal out of the 3D effects at the expense of the film. The use of 3D in gravity felt natural, it never distracted me...hell I never even noticed it was some big 3D moment either, which from me is a huge compliment. It was organic and natural and made even more excellent by the great camera work. 

I dunno man. I hated the storyline. I thought it was wildly overrated and that there were a ton of cheesy one liners, esp with Bullock talking to herself. There was no decent backstory.

It was wildly awesome visually, but I thought the story absolutely sucked. I know more people agree with you than me.

I dunno man. I hated the storyline. I thought it was wildly overrated and that there were a ton of cheesy one liners, esp with Bullock talking to herself. There was no decent backstory.

It was wildly awesome visually, but I thought the story absolutely sucked. I know more people agree with you than me.

Considering all the other "Space" movies that have done cheesey lines (Armageddon) and cheesey characters...I feel this one did a fine job of making it a bit better. The characters had back story but it was super light, which was the point. The film wasn't about as much who they were as what specifically Bullocks character had to struggle through. The decision and to avoid spoilers but her back story with her family I felt was smart. It would of been very easy to go a different route for that, and give her other motivation to survive. But it was deeply rooted in a single characters struggles disconnected from the rest of the world. I felt that was smarter than what could of easily been worse. I will agree that some of the lines when she is by herself can be...a bit much, however I felt her performance carried them the few times they happened. I think the focus was right in that movie, more so on the pure near art quality of camera work and visual stuff with very very simple characters. I didn't feel like I wanted to know more about those people, so the lack of crazy in depth back story helped. Keep in mind I'm a huge character guy when it comes to film/TV so it was even a surprise coming from me.

But some times I feel like under stated character development and a very simple plot are a good way to essentially get that out of the way for what the rest of the film is about. I think more complex character development may of hurt the pacing and what the film was really about tbh. 

Probably not really.  I haven't seen either, but from what I've heard they're similar enough that I don't think you can call one a slam dunk over the other.  One has box-cutting tongues and epidermic eye stabbing in 2013 special effects and the other leads to a chainsaw hand man. There's different strokes for different folks.

Except the new one has p gay credits music. 

They aren't that similar actually. There are definitely nods to the original in the new one (which is a re-imagining/sequel of sorts, not a remake) but it stands on it's own pretty damn well. And speaking of the special effects, FUCK they were good. It was all practical effects too, CGI was only used for touch ups. Pretty impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

The Room:  11/10

Holy shit why have I not seen this movie until this week?  Invite a wench over and watch this immediately.

Trapped in the Closet Part 1-22:  9/10

Speaking of excellent things to watch with a girl, open up that Youtube app on your Wii and give 'er with these.  WHO THE FUCK IS ROXANNE!?

Trapped in the Closet Part 23-33:  3.5/10

Sub-standard.  Skip everything after part 22, and just assume everyone gets HIV and dies.

Enders Game

Was solid. Have yet to read the book, but coming from just a film perspective it felt very rushed and crammed in. The "big twist" felt very easy to predict and reveal. Having talked with people who have read the book they did say it was a relatively faithful adaptation however was super crammed in and while nothing major plot wise was left out a lot of the minor stuff was missing. Character progression and growth is a big one missing. Movie was only 2 hours, probably could of used another hour just to delve into the characters and slow the pacing down. Really my only complaint about it was the stereotyping and characterization of most of the minor characters and how quickly things evolved simply because they had to cover so much ground. With how detailed I've heard the book is, and now that I'm finished I'm going to give it a read either increase the length of the film or make it a two part. Probably the biggest downfall here. 

Enders Game

Was solid. Have yet to read the book, but coming from just a film perspective it felt very rushed and crammed in. The "big twist" felt very easy to predict and reveal. Having talked with people who have read the book they did say it was a relatively faithful adaptation however was super crammed in and while nothing major plot wise was left out a lot of the minor stuff was missing. Character progression and growth is a big one missing. Movie was only 2 hours, probably could of used another hour just to delve into the characters and slow the pacing down. Really my only complaint about it was the stereotyping and characterization of most of the minor characters and how quickly things evolved simply because they had to cover so much ground. With how detailed I've heard the book is, and now that I'm finished I'm going to give it a read either increase the length of the film or make it a two part. Probably the biggest downfall here. 

The book is really, really good. I expected the movie to be bad.

As far as what I watched recently.. Only thing I can think of is rec( short for record) the spanish horror film. It was okay, made me laugh more than anything which is good because I hate horror films.

Really wanted to see gravity but haven't do so yet.

I just got back from the prisoners and I have to say it was way better than I expected its probably not a nine like Kesler said but Id give it a solid 7 on a scale of all movies and maybe a 9 for a typical action movie.  The plot was different than the traditional shootem up type thing and it wasn't until the end that the movie started to get ridiculous with the one-liners and the usual kill everyone stuff.  Rotten Tomatoes has an overall score in the low mid 40s I disagree completely.

No it doesn't. Rotten Tomatoes gave Prisoners an 81%, nowhere near the 40's.

you actually got through them all? I got to part 14 and said screw this as it was starting to get dumb.

Yeah, he really started phoning it as early as #7, but it was still good for some ridiculous laughs until #22.  Twan's entire existence is comic relief.  And his name is Twan.  And they literally all get HIV at the end.

Everything after that is confusing and dumb and not really funny anymore.  Pimp Lucius comes out of nowhere and they barely address the AIDS and they try to make it seem like they're doing a reality show interview thing about it and it was quite the waste of 40 minutes.