Top 10: General Managers

Higgins

Looking for your list of top 10 general managers in league history. An all-time list can be found here. Throw your hate/bias out the window, maybe the best GM ever is one you absolute despise because they kept such a good team for so long.

I'll be making some sort of media spot series out of these and since I joined in S21 I'm only judging based on S21-39 myself.

In no particular order, here's mine:

Sam Helberg :nya:

Sandro Desaulniers :tor:

Chris Miller :nya:

Victor Alfredsson :dav:

David Knight :tor:

Dustin Funk :rig:

Greg Harbinson :sea:

Mike Szatkowski :rig:

Jason Glasser :cal:

Joey Kendrick :hel: 

1. :tor: David Knight

2. :hel: Mitch Higgins fucking piece of shit

3.  :rig: Dustin Funk

4.  :dav: Chad Murphy

5.  :dav: Harvey Singh

6.  :sea: Greg Harbinson

7.  :nya: Chris Miller

8.  :nya: Sam Helberg (even if he stole the GM trophy from me twice)

9.  :cal: Jason Glasser

10.  :dav:  Victor Alfredsson

Edited by Frank

I was drafted to Helsinki so I know a bit more about their history from when I first joined that's why I included him for his Helsinki job.

I appreciate all insight in pre-s21.

I don't recall, did he win a Cup as a GM?

• Admin

Don't agree with Tremblay. Those early Bears teams were lucky to have Scotty, which I blame more on Pensfan's incompetence.

Good drafting record and stockpiled picks very well.

One trade which struck me always in particular was a three-way with McNeil, Jon Church, and Gegeny. Seattle got Church I think and somehow the only other piece involved: a 1st. I think they used it on Funk or something.

Also I'd give him credit for the Scotty deal as well as adding McNeil after. the S4-S5 team was basically tremblay's work.

And I'm not sure how Kendrick's getting on these lists. His track record isn't very good. He's more mouth than results imo

S22 cup over THAT powerhouse Toronto team.

He picked up a team without its S18 1st (Kanou) and added pieces along the way to make them one of the better teams of the generation. Fowler trade was very good too.

S1 Seattle wasn't great but also very short. Cologne.... expansion teams had it tough and Quebec's sole reason for winning is FA coup (could have gone to Cologne) and the Valiq clique. Lots of effort by Kendrick though, bringing back Smarch, Kachur, Gow, and likely others.

Good drafting record and stockpiled picks very well.

One trade which struck me always in particular was a three-way with McNeil, Jon Church, and Gegeny. Seattle got Church I think and somehow the only other piece involved: a 1st. I think they used it on Funk or something.

Also I'd give him credit for the Scotty deal as well as adding McNeil after. the S4-S5 team was basically tremblay's work.

S22 cup over THAT powerhouse Toronto team.

He picked up a team without its S18 1st (Kanou) and added pieces along the way to make them one of the better teams of the generation. Fowler trade was very good too.

S1 Seattle wasn't great but also very short. Cologne.... expansion teams had it tough and Quebec's sole reason for winning is FA coup (could have gone to Cologne) and the Valiq clique. Lots of effort by Kendrick though, bringing back Smarch, Kachur, Gow, and likely others.

Recruitment doesn't count as specific tasks from a GM though. I still think he's overrated as a GM or at least a little too antsy to up and leave. Don't you think the abrasive personality turns some people away as much as it helps his teams? That might be a large reason for no free agents going there. A good GM doesn't rely on free agents.

As for Tremblay, not much tenure there compared to others on my list (which I think is important, especially in the earlier years of the league) and I'll still say the Scotty move was more Pensfan incompetence than it was good GMing from Seattle.

• Admin

Recruitment doesn't count as specific tasks from a GM though. I still think he's overrated as a GM or at least a little too antsy to up and leave. Don't you think the abrasive personality turns some people away as much as it helps his teams? That might be a large reason for no free agents going there. A good GM doesn't rely on free agents.

As for Tremblay, not much tenure there compared to others on my list (which I think is important, especially in the earlier years of the league) and I'll still say the Scotty move was more Pensfan incompetence than it was good GMing from Seattle.

Eh, if not top 10 he's like top 15.

Can't agree with longevity and you didn't include Pensfan or Jason. I wouldn't include Greg myself though I respect Seattle and especially the Seattle Six days.

Eh, if not top 10 he's like top 15.

Can't agree with longevity and you didn't include Pensfan or Jason. I wouldn't include Greg myself though I respect Seattle and especially the Seattle Six days.

That's because they aren't good gms

Although he had no luck, the dude who ran Vasteras for the first lots of seasons wasn't the worst. But I know who the worst was and it wasn't  Robbie Zimmers. Anyone remember the Stockholm or something team ran by the juilan or something dude?